Thursday, September 23, 2010

The first of the cakes....

This is the cake that started it all, for the person who started it all. My friend Cait is a lady who shares the same love of sparkle & sugar. We both decompress with crafts. This cake was my first for her 25th birthday. Naturally, it is chocolate with more chocolate and a bit of vanilla icing (since you can't dye chocolate purple).
A few weeks later came my first fondant cake. All in all, it was a valid attempt at wrapping a cake in solid sugar. It did come out a bit lumpy on one side, but where's the fun in posting THAT photo?. Here's a confession: fondant makes me nervous. In about 90% of my life, I am a reasonable human being. 10% of the time there is that perfect storm that makes me stutter get all nervous. Fondant can be that perfect storm. I can safely say that 6 months later, I have conquered my fear of fondant. I don't so much hurl a sugar pancake at my cakes (since putting it on as quick as possible would minimize the experience) as semi-confidently cover them in a sugary blanket. Fondant and I are now friends. The good part is that it was for my mother...and she loved it. Because that's what moms do.

No comments:

Post a Comment